“St. Paul Parish traces its origin to 1880 when a mission was organized in Weirton. The Phillips Sheet and Tin Plate Company, now Weirton Steel, had attracted many Catholics, including a number of Polish immigrants. Saint Paul Parish was established in 1911 for the families. Weirton Steel donated property for the church. In 1915 the parish divided to accommodate the growing Polish community and Sacred Heart of Mary Parish was formed. A private home was purchased for the non-Polish parishioners. On May 27, 1916, St. Paul Parish was established and designated to serve the Catholics of Weirton, Holidays Cove, Wheeling Junction, Colliers and New Cumberland. The church was dedicated two years later. In 1957 the parish was further divided and St. Joseph the Worker Parish was formed on Weirton Heights. The first school was built by 1924 and staffed by the Servants of Mary. The present church was built in 1972.”
– Excerpted from the book Faith in the Mountains: Dr. Tricia T. Pyne
You can purchase Dr. Pyne’s wonderful book, Faith in the Mountains: A History of the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston 1850-2000, on Amazon.com.